Music

Music is an integral part of the life at St. John’s Lutheran Church. Jacob Eckhard began as the first organist and choirmaster soon after the church was constructed. A Thomas Hall pipe organ was installed in 1823 in the current church and the case for that instrument still fronts the current Shantz instrument which includes a trompette en chamade.

A nineteen-bell carillon that may be played from the organ console was placed in the steeple in 1992. The carillon strikes the hours and automatically plays hymn melodies on a regular schedule. The organist also plays additional hymns and melodies for special occasions such as weddings or special community events.

St. John’s is proud to participate in the Spoleto Organ recital series with a number of public performances conducted each year in the sanctuary. The rich acoustics of the building provide an almost mystical performance space for both choral and organ recitals. The church’s Arts Council also sponsors a variety of other concerts through the year to enrich the musical heritage of the city, as well as music programs for and from the congregation, including dinner and music evenings quarterly featuring music of the season.

 

St. John Chorale

St. John Chorale on Easter 2015